Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Baby Quilt

While I was in Raymond a few weeks ago, of course I had to check out the local quilt shop: Sugar Town Quilts. And while there, I came across a new idea for a way of making a quilt that I hadn't tried yet. And I really wanted to try it! So, I called my sister to see if maybe her new little 19-month old foster daughter might be in need of a quilt (I couldn't think of anyone else at the moment who might need a baby quilt and I really wanted to make it!) Luckily, my sister said that yes, she could use a quilt for her bed so I happily bought the supplies needed and here is the finished product:
(Click to embiggen)

And here's Maira happily modelling it for me to give an idea of the scale:


The technique involves using one large piece for the background and then cutting out a bunch of small squares (mine were 3x3, I believe) with pinking shears. Then you use a glue stick to glue them in place (after marking out your grid with a disappearing marker) and then sew up and down the quilt in a grid pattern to sew the squares on. The zigzag edges keep the unfinished edges of the squares from fraying too much but they still fray enough to look really cute. It was a quick project that I'll definitely make again sometime.

3 comments:

Backwoods Browns said...

I LOVE IT!!!! It's so cute and seems so easy!! You did a great job, she's going to love it!!

Mary-Rose said...

That turned out so cute! It's so fun to create something beautiful!

Anonymous said...

thats sounds easy enough for me to do!
It looks lovely!