Monday, July 8, 2013

Connor's 9th Birthday

My sweet Connor is 9 years old now.  He is a boy who has a tender heart and an inquisitive mind.  He has the mind of a scientist, always investigating and exploring the world around him.  He devours books, both fiction and non-fiction, and one of my favourite times of the day is at bedtime when I sit on his bed and read a chapter to him from whatever book he's reading at the moment.  I introduced him to the cartoon series Calvin and Hobbes last summer and the Calvin and Hobbes books he has are some of the most read books in his room.  I often tell him he reminds me of Calvin because he's smart and has a big imagination.  As a surprise for him, I crocheted a stuffed Hobbes toy for him for his birthday.  I worried he might be a little old for a new stuffy but he didn't let that stuffy leave his sight after his birthday, except to go to school.  If I could have figured out a way for Hobbes to ambush him when he got home from school, I would have!





 My Mom gave Connor a Nerf type bow and arrow and Connor headed straight to the field by our house to try out his new weapon.




For his friend party, he requested a Minecraft theme.  If you are like me and are unfamiliar with Minecraft, I will explain:  it's a video game that is sort of like a giant land made of legos.  Everything is brick shaped and very pixellated, and you create a world and hide from green monsters called Creepers.  That's all I know about it.  But thanks to Pinterest and the wonder of the internet, it was easy peasy to throw together a Minecraft themed videogame that involved no actual video game playing at all.  The food was simply cut into block shapes, the cake was made to look like a giant block of dirt with grass on top, and they played pin the tail on the pig (a very block-ish shaped pig) while wearing that block shaped head you see in the picture.  That's what the main character in the game, Steve, looks like.

Fun was had by all and I was glad when it was all over!


Happy birthday, sweet boy!

No comments: