Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Revision Prose

Things have been quiet on my blog but that's not because life has been quiet.

With Hudson's preschool years drawing to a close, I've spent a lot of time pondering how I want to spend my time once all my children are in school.  The biggest priority for me is to finish my university degree (I'm halfway through a BA in French).

So I re-enrolled myself at Athabasca, a correspondence university, and picked out all the courses I would need to complete my degree.

However, the price for all those courses will come to over $12,000 and with four busy (and expensive) school aged kids, we don't have an extra 12k lying around.

So, I've been trying to figure out how I could pay for my tuition while still being at home with my kids when they're home.  And I decided to put my editing skills to work for me.

I have created my own little editing business called Revision Prose.  Freelance editing is a very competitive business and people are reluctant to hire you if you don't have a lot of experience.  And it's hard to get experience when people are reluctant to hire you!  But I'm trying to get my name out there as much as I can (I'm now on Twitter, Linkedin, Elance, Facebook, and MARsocial), and I hope I'll start getting some work soon.

In the meantime, I decided to go ahead and start one of my courses because it directly applies to editing: English 353 Intermediate Composition.  It has been SO fun to start learning this kind of stuff again.  It feels really good to cram facts into my brain and really use my intellect in such a challenging and stimulating way.  I almost don't want to finish my degree because it would mean I won't have any more courses to take!

And once I'm finished my degree, what next?  We'll see how editing goes - maybe I'll love it so much I'll want to keep going with it on a more full-time basis.  Or maybe I'll keep editing for a few years and then, when my kids are all teenagers or older, I'll go back to school for a BEd to become a teacher.  I'd love to teach English as a Second Language or teach French but I don't want to teach right now.  I'm too introverted to spend my day teaching and talking to people to be able to then come home and have any energy left for my children.  So, editing is a much better fit for me right now because it is such a solitary pursuit and it's very flexible as well so I don't have to worry about taking time off from a teaching job to tend to a sick child.



Here's to learning new things!