Saturday, June 13, 2009

Hinton Triathlon

So last weekend, we went to Hinton (3 1/2 hours west of Edmonton) so that Shae and Connor could take part in their kids' triathlon. The weather wasn't great: a high of 10 degrees Celsius that day and overcast and windy. But it didn't rain during the race and it even snowed that same day not far away so it could have been much worse.

There were three levels: Bronze, Silver and Gold. Connor did bronze and Shae did silver. So, Connor swam 50 m, biked 1400 m and ran 600 m. Shae swam 150 m, biked 3.5 km and ran 1600 m. They both got t-shirts and medals ("real" medals, made of metal, not plastic). I think they were both surprised at how hard it was but they were both really pleased with their accomplishment. I had been worried Connor would be focused on winning but I think he saw pretty early on that lots of the other kids in his level were bigger than him so he didn't seem bothered to be near the back of the pack.

I really like doing races so I was excited to give my kids a taste of how fun and satisfying a race can be. They're already talking about doing it next year so I guess it couldn't have been too bad!

1 comment:

Backwoods Browns said...

Nice job and what a good hubby for running alongside to get such great footage! :)