Thursday, June 11, 2009

Yes, I use cloth diapers, and no, I'm not crazy


I tried cloth diapers when Maira was a baby and Connor was still a toddler and I liked them at first but after some wear and tear, they got smelly and I just couldn't get them clean no matter what I did. Also, Maira got diaper rash even worse with cloth diapers than she did with disposables.

But...now, I have found out why I was having those problems: bad diapers and hard water. Now, I have found a great cloth diaper (that's not ridiculously expensive like a lot of them are), the AMP all-in-two diaper. At the risk of sounding like a commercial, they are easy to get clean, quick to dry and so soft of Hudson's skin, and they're made in Canada. The only time he gets rashes now is when I put him in a disposable (which I still use when we're on a trip). I order them from a local business run by two stay-at-home moms, Natural Urban Mamas.

And as for hard water, I'm learning that Edmonton has crazy hard water and that there's a reason the people we bought the house from had installed a water softener (which is now broken). The minerals in the water build up on fabric and stop it from absorbing as well. So, now that I know that, I've started using washing soda and vinegar in my washing machine when I wash my diapers (they both help to soften the water). I've also found a wonderful laundry detergent that is phosphate, dye, fragrance, whitener, etc, etc, - free AND is for use in front load washers. Yay!

The Top Five Reasons I Use Cloth:
1 - Less diaper rash
2 - Better for the environment
3 - Cheaper
4 - Keeps the poop in much better than disposables
5 - They're so cute

2 comments:

Backwoods Browns said...

I wish I had found those diapers! I was looking for some but the only ones I found were seriously expensive and we couldn't pay for as many as we needed!I'll have to give that name out to people around here!
So about that font load whitening detergent......do tell :)

Heather said...

I know, who wants to pay $20 for a single diaper? When you need 20+ diapers, it takes a while to see any savings!

I added a picture of the detergent I use. They sell it at the major grocery stores up here. It's not a whitening detergent though, it's whitener free (whiteners are bad for diapers, apparently). The best way to whiten diapers and probably other laundry too is to lay it out in the sun, it works like a charm!