August and September have been terribly cold, cloudy and wet so my garden went from thriving and flourishing in July to stalled in August. And then last night, there was a killer frost overnight and when I woke up, my garden looked like this:

My pumpkin and cucumbers that I planted had grown like weeds and were almost taking over the backyard but after one night of frost, they just wilted and died. And because there wasn't enough sunlight and heat after July to ripen anything, they had dozens of flowers on them but no fruit. OK, one fruit, a little tiny 2 inch pumpkin:

And my beautiful Roma tomatoes also never had the chance to ripen:

But we did get a lovely harvest of carrots, peas and beets so it wasn't a total write off. And, there's always next year!
And, on another topic, I got all 400 of my I Spy squares back in the mail (I ended up joining 2 swaps this summer) and I've been busy sorting and arranging them into all sorts of fun quilts. Here's a small peek at what I've been up to:

1 comment:
Oh sad on the garden! Are the green tomatoes still usable? I have a great recipe for green tomato pie! Tastes like apple pie (weird, I know, but true) let me know if you want it.
I am so excited to start my eye spy quilt! I love yours so far! Thank you again for helping me get into that swap!
Post a Comment