Sunday, August 21, 2011

Camping at Cold Lake


In July, at the height of mosquito season, we braved the elements to spend 5 days camping in bear country up by Cold Lake. We never did see any bears though we did see rabbits, lots of birds, and way too many squirrels. We set up our tents in the rain (and in the dark), and we ended up taking down our tents in the rain too so it was definitely one of our wetter camping trips but luckily it didn't rain the whole time so we were able to enjoy the beautiful park we were at.

One day, Connor found this little murky pond beside the lake that was full of minnows (and who knows what else) and he pretty much spent the whole days hunting minnows with his net.

He got pretty good at patiently stalking his prey:
And eventually, he decided to build a dam to try and trap more minnows in his pond. A dam out of slime...EWWW. Thank goodness for hand sanitizer.
Hudson missed me while I was out in the dinghy, he gave me a nice hug when I got back.
There was a lot of "The Force" game happening at the lake - that's where the younger kids hold up their hands and pretend they're using the Force to knock Shae over backwards in the water. Apparently it's hilarious.

This is our campsite. We were pleased with how private it was. Though not private enough to block out the sounds from the obnoxious neighbours behind us who let their kids stay up way later than ours...I guess maybe they thought we were obnoxious too since our kids woke up way earlier than theirs!
I think this might have been everyone's favourite part: singing old cheesy campfire songs after a marshmallow roast.

2 comments:

Kara said...

Camping is hard! Way to go, mama! I love that Force game idea.

Bethany said...

That looks like so much fun! I need to convince Ben to go camping before summer is over!