Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Hudson's Broken Arm

At the end of May, I went to pick Hudson up from his rock climbing class and he told me his elbow hurt from a fall. He'd been bouldering early on in the class and when he was at an overhang about six feet off the ground, with his feet up by his hands, he lost his grip and fell down onto the mats below and landed on his right arm. His arm looked fine to me - no swelling or bruising - and he could still bend his elbow so I sent him to bed with an ice pack and some ibuprofen. The next morning I forgot to ask him how his elbow was feeling and he rode his bike to school. When he got home after school, he was in tears from how much it hurt his elbow to ride his bike so I decided to take him into the ER for x-rays just in case. Four hours later, we went home with his right arm in a half-cast. Turns out he'd fractured his ulna bone right by the elbow in the growth plate area.



I assumed he'd need to leave the cast on for about six weeks. He was sad because it meant he wouldn't be able to swim when we went to Raymond for Canada Day or when he went to Scout camp at Impesa in early July. But he wasn't sad that it meant he had to quit piano lessons for the year!

We went back to the hospital two weeks later for a follow up visit and further x-rays. And much to our surprise, the doctor said the fracture was all healed and he could throw his cast in the garbage!!


No comments: