Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Little Princess Turns 4

Maira has always loved all things pink and girly so when I told her she could have her very first "friend" birthday party, AND that it could be a princess party, she was absolutely thrilled. I have to say I probably had as much fun as she did because of all the fun I had with the invitations, the decorations and the cake. Her friends each received an invitation that looked like this:



For decorations, I enlisted Shae's help to use paint to transform our front entry way into a castle. She and Connor also agreed to dress up in costumes and help greet the guests as they arrived.



Maira's friends all wore princess dresses and I had paper crowns for them to decorate and wear. I think the highlights of the party were when the girls went to the ball (aka played statues - they were adorable spinning around and dancing in their ballgowns) and when Jess put part of the cake on his head and pranced around the dining room (OK, maybe he didn't prance but he really did put the cake on his head).





The next day, Hudson helped me finish off the cake!



We also had a low key family celebration for Maira's birthday. Since it was a different day from her friend party, I baked another cake. Her request for this one: purple flowers.






This is a really cute sequence of Hudson playing peekaboo with Jess:


As you can probably tell, he was roaring instead of saying peekaboo!

We all had a fun time but I have to say, I'm sure glad this annual run of kid birthdays is over for now (3 birthdays plus Christmas within 7 weeks of each other), no more birthdays until June!

And, one last thing from January of 2011: this was the month of the giant blizzards. Almost every day, I woke up and looked outside and thought "More snow? Seriously?!?!" This is a view of our front driveway. That arrow is showing the top of the snowpile beside the driveway - it's hard to tell but I promise you, that pile is taller than me. Makes shovelling pretty tough.

And here's my backyard, the snow is SO deep back there!
The city crews FINALLY came and plowed our street today so there is now a 2-story tall pile of snow in the middle of our cul-de-sac and the kids are SO excited to go out and play on it (there's only enough snow for the city to pile it up in the middle of cul-de-sacs every 5 or 6 years so this is a big deal for them) Shae was fondly reminiscing about the last time this happened, telling Maira and Connor all about it since they don't remember this happening before. At least the snow is good for something!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh these are wonderful. You are so talented! People should hire you!

I love both the cakes... so pretty and they also look YUM O !
Shae did such a great job with princess statues. Well Done Shae :)

Backwoods Browns said...

Love the cakes!You've had a lot of winter Birthdays. I'll soon be in my baking season with all the spring and summer birthdays. You've got me thinking about what my projects will be to get ready.

Also, My friends use those HUGE piles of snow to make sledding hills. They are the funnest to play on! the little ones are going to LOVE it! Can't wait to see those pictures!

Mary-Rose said...

I always love your posts-- because you have the cutest kids! and the cakes were darling, you talented mom!
The snow reminds me of the usual Edmonton winters when I was young.
Thanks for posting!

Bethany said...

Glad you and Maira both had so much fun with her b-day! Hope you are surviving the snow. It is nice to have kids because at least someone in our house is excited about it.